Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Deciding On What Genre To Write

Over the weekend I attended a wonderful RWA conference in New Jersey.  It is one of the things I look forward to every year.  As usual there were workshops on all aspects of writing as well as the business of being a writer.  I tried to take a few of each.  Several of the workshops were genre specific which got me thinking.  I read across a few different romance genres but for now only write contemporary.

Someday I would love to try writing a historical, but to be honest I am a little scared.  Not only will it require research, which I can handle, but what it I get it wrong?  I know there are some readers who would never forgive me if I am writing a Regency era romance but have my characters using terms not introduced until say the late 19th century.

At the same time I would love to write a paranormal.  The nice thing about this is I can build my own world with my own rules.  The bad part is I have to build my own world with my own rules.  From the outside that sounds easy, but once you do it you must keep things consistent.

So for now I think I will stick with my writing contemporary romances.  They are my comfort zone for now.  Maybe once the girls are all in school full time I will take more risks.


No comments:

Post a Comment