Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Stress, Writing, and Selling a House Part 3

Today marks the 3rd week since my home here in Massachusetts went on the market.  I must admit the stress is piling up and flowing over into other areas of my life.  Physically I have started having anxiety attacks, I am not sleeping well at night and my patience with my children is low.  To top it all off it is starting to flow over into my writing too.  Many of you know that I am working on the 4th book in my series The Sherbrookes of Newport.  Since my twins are still at home all day, I do most of my writing at night after all 3 children are in bed.  Over the past week I have failed to get any work done on 2 separate occasions.  Both nights I just could not concentrate on the work and get into my characters' heads.

Even though I  know it sometimes takes months even years to sell a house, I had not expected it to be so hard for several reasons.  First of all the last time we sold and moved it was a quick process.  Secondly and most importantly we live in a nice town, with good schools and have a nice house.  In October it will only be 3 years old.  It has a master suite with a full bathroom, and 3 more good size bedrooms.  In addition to the bathroom in the master we have 2 more full baths, central AC, central vacuum and a 2 car garage.  Granted our yard is on the small side but it fits the big swing we have just fine.  Finally, it is in a great commuter location.  From here you can easily get to Providence, Worcester, Boston, Framingham, and Shrewsbury.

Unfortunately, for now there is not much I can do but keep trucking along as my mother in law would say.  Lets see what the next week brings.

Happy reading everyone

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you good luck and a quick sale. I know it's hard when you have kids at home and are trying to keep the house spotless to show, and try to keep everything else going and find time to write. It can be extremely stressful.

    Take a night for yourself, relax in a hot bubble bath, drink some hot tea and read a few pages of a good but not overly exciting book and get a good night's sleep. Getting a good night's rest will help with some of the stress. Get in some exercise during the day which will help as well - maybe just a quick walk around the block to get your endorphins pumping.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs hon. I don't have great answers, since I get stressed too, but we're all here and I really do believe all of this will pass. Sometimes, you know, the writing ebbs and flows, and as frustrating as it gets, it sounds like you got a ton on your plate. I think you sound like an awesome mom, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selling a house is the worst. My family knows I'm going to turn into the cleaning Nazi when there's a "for sale" sign out front. The uncertainty balls my stomach in knots.

    However, nothing is ever wasted on a writer.Remember this feeling of hollow dread and bequeath is to a character later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with the moving stress. No fun!
    Try to stay balanced. Best of luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete